The Best Sourdough Bagels in a Fraction of the Time
While still yeast-based, these sourdough bagels are made with Red Star’s Platinum Instant Sourdough Yeast – providing the deliciously crisp exterior and chewy interior flavour of sourdough in a fraction of the time.
- 1 package Red Star’s Platinum Instant Sourdough (yeast + sourdough culture)
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp honey and 1/4 cup for boiling
- 2 cups khorasan flour
- (nutritional benefits: https://wholegrainscouncil.org/blog/2017/12/khorasan-wheat-story-ancient-grain)
- 2 cups whole-grain, whole-wheat flour
- 1.5 tsp fine Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Combine instant sourdough with warm water and 1 tbsp of honey in a large bowl. Stir and let rest for 5-10 minutes or until bubbling.
- Combine both types of flour and salt in a large bowl. When first mixture is ready, add the dry ingredients and stir until dough begins to form.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead for 6-8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and cover the dough for 90 minutes.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, split into 8 equal portions and roll into a bagel shape (refer to IGTV video at the end of the post for directions).
- Boil a large pot of water and whisk in 1/4 cup of honey.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper while waiting for water and honey mixture to boil.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, add 3 bagels at a time and boil for 2 minutes (flip at halfway so each side boils for 1 minute).
- Place bagels on parchment lined baking sheets and brush with plant-based butter. Add desired toppings (everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, etc.).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Best enjoyed freshly baked! Can also store on counter for 3-4 days in an air-tight container, in the fridge for up to one week, or in the freezer for up to one month.